Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Buy a book

As I'm finding myself more and more committed to doing, I'm plugging the Friends of the West Hartford Library book sale taking place this weekend as part of Celebrate! West Hartford (can anyone explain to me why the exclamation point is after the word celebrate and not after West Hartford? I suppose it would seem more like a command if it came after West Hartford. Either way, I don't know if the punctuation is entirely necessary, as the word celebrate brings enough excitement that the exclamation point is kind of redundant, no?).

Thanks to the rough patch the country has been through recently, libraries across this great land of ours have been busier than ever (well, not ever ever, but you know what I mean). And yet, also thanks to this rough patch, town budgets are getting slashed and libraries are being forced to cut staff and business hours.

How can you help reverse this trend? By buying a book or two at the FOTWHL book sale, turkey!

Here's the 411:

When - June 11 (5 p.m. - 9 p.m.), June 12 (9 a.m. - 5 p.m.), & June 13 (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.)

Where - The Main Meeting Room, Noah Webster Library (20 South Main Street, West Hartford)

As for the other Ws and the H:

Who - You

What - Buy a book

Why - To keep the library from only offering old, crusted copies of The Da Vinci Code ... and nothing else!

How - You can drive there, or walk, or ride a bike, or bum a ride.

1 comment:

seth said...

Uh, thanks but I'll pass on this one. Not only is this book sale you write of over a hundred miles away, but I just gave something like 8 or 9 boxes of books to a library near me (not to mention the the other 4 or 5 boxes I've gotten rid of thru other means (i.e. forcing them on friends via the USPS).

Stop trying to make me spend money on books! That's like selling crack to a crackhead. You're an enabler, you monster.