Thursday, March 26, 2009

Things thought at 3:45 AM

Rough time sleeping last night. The bacon cheeseburger from Plan B did me in. I found myself awake at 3:45 a.m., my mind wandering.

Here's what I remember thinking about:

1. New issue of the West Hartford News to look forward to tomorrow. Will the writing will still be horrible?

The answer, as I just learned when I got my mail, is yes. Well, maybe not as bad as two weeks ago, but still pretty poor.

2. I really don't want to break up with my landlord.

The Professor and I made the decision to move, even though we hate the thought of packing everything up to move a mile away. 

On my way home from work today I decided to make the phone call and tell our landlord the bad news. I hate making that phone call. But I followed through with it. I even went into a "it's not you, it's me" run. Not fun. 

But, like a band-aid, I tore it quickly.

She was completely blind-sided by the news.

3. How can one tell if they are in an Italian horror film?

Yes, this was something I was thinking about at 4 o'clock this morning. And I came up with a five-point yes/no checklist. Essentially, if you can answer 'yes' to at least three of these statements, you may actually be part of an Italian horror film:
1. I live or work in a building that has enough space for a hidden room, where someone may be conducting experiments or planning horrible actions against me or my roommates/co-workers.
2. I speak Italian and am an attractive female (or the boyfriend of an attractive female).
3. My life seems to have a heavy metal soundtrack that is heavy on Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and Goblin.
4. I live in a Technicolor wonderland.
5. Someone is trying to kill me. 

I am bleary-eyed. I'm going to go crash for a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, here's a tap into your wisdom: how did you get out of your lease? We need to get out of ours (NOISE is KILLING us) and are trying to figure out the right strategy.

Ben said...

Sadly, we ended up eating the final month of our lease. Since we had only been in the apartment a year, we didn't have that awesome relationship that can form between a landlord and tenant where they say, "Lease? Don't worry about it." I have to say, though, the break-up call was not very fun to make. Because, and this is true, we liked our landlord. It was the location and the noise that was the problem.

I wish I could give you a great answer. Maybe you could look at your lease. Perhaps there is some sort of "noise" clause (usually there is one for the tenant having "reasonable" noise) that you could exploit.

Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck.