Friday, September 12, 2008

Yet another vanishing sidewalk incident!

A couple weeks ago, I posted about a sidewalk in West Hartford that I came across that just - well, ended. No crosswalk, no slope to the street. It just stopped. I wondered in my post if this vanishing act was what Shel Silverstein meant when writing his book Where The Sidewalk Ends.

The other day, I came across another of these abnormalities. This one is on Fern Street. Here's a photo, hastily taken from inside my car:


Like the other vanishing sidewalk, this one just ends without warning. Something makes me wonder if there's a secret transport beyond the cement slab, bringing you from one vanishing sidewalk to the other, kind of like in the board game Clue. If so, it would be a much easier way to get across town. But, something tells me this isn't the case. 

Boy, first it was sidewalk holes, now it's vanishing sidewalks. I must really be getting bored to notice these things!

No comments: