Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cell phone blues

I enjoy poking fun at my newly (4 months and counting, baby!) adopted home of Connecticut. I mean, this is of an odd little stamp of land, what with the lack of radio stations, the strange goings-ons when it comes to local town politics, the absence of a good local record shop, the sidewalks (both vanishing and hole-filled), local newspapers, Joe Visconti, leaf vacuuming (?), rapping 4 a.m. teenagers, and, well, plenty of other things. 

But there is one thing that Connecticut is actually doing that I wholeheartedly endorse.

It's a small sign. Nothing flashy. Just black letters on silver backing, perched along state highways, greeting drivers as they cross onto nutmeg land. 

Here's a picture (thanks, Mr. Google and your awesome friend, Mr. Street View!): 


"Driver use of Handheld Telephones Prohibited." PROHIBITED!

I must have looked like the Cheshire Cat when I first noticed that sign, driving the U-Haul from Massachusetts the day that I moved.

You see, I am not a cell phone guy. I love technology, but I've never gotten into the cell phone world. Don't get me wrong, I understand the need for cells, and I can't fault anyone who has and cherishes one, but I just don't want one of my own. There's something about always being available and obligated to answer calls that really doesn't do much for me. And, I don't buy the "That's why you can turn it off" speech that I always get when I state my case, because everybody knows that when you get dumped to voicemail or someone doesn't answer, they suddenly get a little lower on the "favorites list." 

And, nothing riles my feathers more than CDDs: Cell Drunk Drivers. They're all over the road. Slow. Fast. Sharp turning. Wide turning. Not turning!

Thankfully, Connecticut decided to do something about it.

Currently, there are only 5 states in the US that prohibit handheld cell use while driving. With the restriction in place as law, officers can pull individuals over and fine them for talking on a handheld cell phone. There does not have to be any additional violation taking place. So, theoretically, you could be pulling out of your driveway while on your cell and get nabbed. 

Theoretically.

Of course, exceptions can be made. You could be in an emergency situation, for example. Maybe you're pregnant and going into labor. Or, you're in an auto accident. Or, you're a firefighter. Or, you're a West Hartford resident.

Wait, what?

Yes, it seems that West Hartford can get away with everything. Though the cell law has been in effect for over 2 years in Connecticut, it hasn't seemed to stick in the ol' WH. I cannot count the amount of times I've seen absent-minded drivers with their mobile brain cancer machines strapped to their faces while out on the street. On Boulevard. On New Britain Ave. On South Main. On Albany. On Asylum. They're everywhere. It's especially scary when I'm out running, without a 2000 pound steel box to protect me from their gabby blind-spots.

I have to assume that SOMEONE is getting stopped in town for these violations. I'm sure the WHPD takes handheld cell phone use seriously. Because, when it comes down to it, an inattentive driver is probably more dangerous than a driver without a seat belt, right? Why, then, does everybody seem to cruise through town talking away? Are they not scared of the fines? Do they just not care? Or, is there a "chosen one" attitude that makes the crusty elite, in their Jags and BMWs, just not think that they're doing anything illegal?

I congratulate Connecticut for putting the wheels in motion. However, maybe the time has come for every CT cellaholic to pause for a moment. Think about WHAT is so important when one feels the need to have a phone against their ear as they attempt to parallel park in Blue Back Square (for the 4th time). Do you think the conversation could wait? Unless you're talking someone through surgery, or off a ledge, the answer is probably "yes." 

Better yet, if you really want to talk, buy a bluetooth! You drive a BMW, for God's sake! 

Oh, and don't worry about that bumper you just hit. It'll buff out. 

I think.

4 comments:

Seannessy said...

I used to be on of those people on the phone in the car all the time! I no longer have a car and actually very rarely use my phone for actual phone calls...just texting. Which yes, I am also guilty of driving and texting which is probably the WORST of all!!!

AmyBergquist said...

The WHPD sometimes sets up a few officers at the intersection of LaSalle and Ellsworth in the Center. They bust people that roll through the 4-way stop and those that are talking on cell phones. Sometimes the drivers commit both violations. They're usually pulled over in front of our office, so we get to watch it all go down. Lots of crying. Sometimes flailing. It's kind of like watching a TV drama.

I have a Bluetooth speaker system for my car and it rocks. I can't do the earbud thing, so this other system does the trick. The only problem is that you still need to type on your phone (while driving) if you want to call out. Not perfect, but still much safer. I just wait until I'm sitting at a light to call out.

Ben said...

Sounds like you have a great show set up right outside your office window!

Yeah, I'm just amazed at how many people in $60,000 cars are talking on their handheld phones around here. I mean, half of these vehicles probably have bluetooth technology embedded in their computer system to allow for hands-free use. I know my Ford Focus has it, so I'd imagine most new luxury vehicles have it, as well.

Anonymous said...

Texting and driving? That is just dangerous. Shame on you, Sean!