Monday, December 15, 2008

Some alternative suggestions . . .

Well, I certainly got an earful (or, should it be eyeful, as the text isn't actually making a sound) from my post yesterday. If there's one thing I've learned in my short time writing this blog, it's that you never know what'll set someone off. And, apparently, the band Los Lonely Boys is a pretty touchy subject amongst quite a few.

Folks, just remember, this blog is the opinion of one person. Most of the posts are meant to be poking fun. Don't take such offense.  

I was only attempting to say that there are FAR too many Christmas albums released each year. Oftentimes, they tend to defeat the true nature of the season. 

Remember the words of the immortal Grinch: Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store.

So, I've decided to put my money where my mouth is today. Instead of being snarky, I've instead opted to offer up a few of my favorite Christmas albums. 

Then, you Los Lonely Boys fans can continue to tear me a new one.

Bing Crosby - White Christmas - Truly a classic, Mr. Crosby's voice is warm enough to melt the hearts of even the chilliest of cynics. There is really no point for modern performers to bother singing "White Christmas," as they'll never equal the perfection that is Crosby's original (though, his "original," on most pressings, is actually a rerecording done in 1947 which used many of the same elements from his actual original recording from 1942). 

The copy I have of this is released under it's original title, Merry Christmas.


Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas - Christmas just isn't Christmas without Charles M. Schulz's annual cartoon parable. A beautiful accompaniment to the famous Peanuts imagery, Guaraldi's bouncy jazz score is almost more memorable than the story it supports. And the brilliant instrumental "Christmas Time Is Here" is enough to bring a tear to one's eye.


Low - Christmas - This short EP, released in 1999, shows the group Low at its best. Known for their stripped, slow sound, there is a haunting quality to many of these songs. Yet, "Just Like Christmas," one of the 5 originals on the 8-track disk, is easily one of the peppiest songs the group has ever released.

The genuine thought in the lyrics to "If You Were Born Today" shows that Low isn't here to pad their bankbooks with this release. There is a message here that they're trying to spread. It is smart stuff that's disguised in quiet charm.


John Denver & The Muppets - A Christmas Together - Anything Muppet related tends to get a free pass from me, but this album is genuinely good. The soundtrack to a 1979 Christmas special, A Christmas Together blends the silliness of the Jim Henson creations with the tender voice of Denver. The duets are often quite a bit of fun, but it's the quieter moments that make this album special. It says quite a bit when a character like Rowlf can make you hold your loved ones a little bit closer when listening to his duet with Denver on "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."


Christmas with the Chipmunks - Though not quite as charming as an adult, this is still a Christmas must-have. Truly an example of Christmas cash-in, it still makes my eyes light up and my mouth smile whenever I hear it. This is an album that reawakens the child within and reminds that child that there's a lot of fun out in the world. Though, as an adult, Dave really comes across as a psycho show dad, doesn't he?

4 comments:

Nan said...

Ben, thank you for the holiday wishes.

Perhaps we were a bit hard on you with the LLB feedback, but it's just that when you know who the Garza brothers are and what they have achieved, through hard work and talent, you have a ton of appreciation and admiration.

I'm not naive about the record industry (read: The Boy's "My Way") and just like any other career- one of the objects of working is to have an income! I don't believe The Boys sold out because they (finally) recorded a Christmas album. And, have you noticed that the cost of living has skyrocketed in the last year? So, with all the kids, family members and charities they support.... God bless them for not sitting on their hands. They're about the hardest working road warriors out there!

Jack Johnson comes to mind when I think of someone who is every-where. I think he must have headlined every other summer music fest in 2008. And, I'm definitely NOT a fan of Jack Johnson.

It's okay if you're not a fan - The Boys have plenty of really devoted ones who love their music, and their heart & soul approach to life.

Peace & Joy to you and yours,
Nan in VT

Ben said...

I agree on your Jack Johnson assessment. He is everywhere! And, though I'm sure this will receive criticism from someone else, everything he does tends to sound the same, doesn't it?

I certainly don't know LLB beyond some short research and their radio hits, so using them as an example yesterday may not have been the wisest of choices (since you fans are RABID!), but if they are as generous to charities as you say, then I hope these album proceeds help make many less fortunate families happy.

Take care Nan.

Judo For Make Love said...

WOW! I LOVE the LLB's, Jack Johnson, The Chimpmunks, The Archies, and Elliott Yamin (what a set of pipes on that guy!!!)!!!I defintiely disagree with the previous poster in his uniformed assassment on Jack Johnson. Quit the contrary, Ban, Every won of his songs sounds So Different!!!

Ben said...

Touche Judo, touche.