Saturday, December 27, 2008

Worst gifts

Today, while driving to day three of Christmas (I got, among other things, an awesome autographed photo of Leslie Neilsen!), conversation turned to the topic of bad presents. 

Worst presents. 

Horrible presents.

The Professor figured the worst gift she ever gave was a set of socks that her father received from her back in the early 1990s. Lame, we thought, but practical.

As for me, I once gave an ex-girlfriend a Faith No More tape, held in the paws of a cuddly teddy bear (this was a LONGGGGG time ago). Now, this wouldn't necessarily be a horrible gift except for the following points:

• Cuddly teddy bears and abrasive music often don't mix.

• I don't think my Ex liked Faith No More. At all.

• This was at the time when most people were already buying CDs.

I can only assume it collected dust for several years, then got sold at a yard sale.

As for the worst gifts ever received, the Professor claimed she couldn't pinpoint one single item. 

I immediately had a response. My worst gift was a t-shirt. A usually innocuous item, this t-shirt was special. A family friend gave it to me when I was about 15-years-old. It was black (a color I rarely wear) and said the following in tight white type across the chest:

DO I LOOK LIKE I GIVE A CRAP?

It was a gift that even the best actor would have had a hard time pulling off after opening. I looked up at the giver and let out a hollow chuckle.

"Thanks," I said (maybe it came out as "Thanks?").

"I saw it at the store and immediately thought of you," the family friend replied.

My stomach dropped. Not only did I get a horrible gift and was struggling to appear excited about it, but I apparently also came across, at the tender age of 15, as someone who would proudly walk around with a t-shirt proclaiming that I knew, without any outside influence, that I appear to not "give a crap" about anything.

I was hurt by the shirt. Was I that cynical? Was I that obnoxious? Did people see me that way?

It sat in a drawer for a month. I then learned where it came from and returned it. The store worker, gladly, let me exchange it even without a receipt.

Any horrible gifts you'd like you share, dear readers?

3 comments:

Mark said...

I once got a similar shirt, from my mother, that said "I Have No Idea What's Going On". I think I had a similar reaction.

And this was like 4 years ago.

Ben said...

The double whammy of horrible gift AND ego attack is a tough one to handle.

Anonymous said...

for my wedding - FOR MY WEDDING, it's important to emphasize that - one of our best friends gave my husband and I an autographed copy of a lousy young-adult science fiction book by an author neither of us liked, but who had taught this friend at a summer writing workshop. So, a crappy, cheap (and let's not forget inappropriate) gift that was really just a reminder about his writing workshop which he'd already bored us to tears describing.

i think that was the worst gift ever.