Wednesday, April 1, 2009

On April Fools

I saw a news article today about President Obama giving an iPod to Queen Elizabeth. I laughed. Then I realized it was a real story and not an April Fools' Day joke.

A similar thing happened this morning when I read an article concerning John McCain's sudden interest in seeking a pardon for former heavyweight champ Jack Johnson. I didn't laugh at the cause. The fact that Johnson had been racially attacked back in 1913 because of an interracial relationship is just another horrible tale our country has in its history. Rather, I assumed this was a joke because, well, John McCain doesn't seem much like the supporter of such a cause. Remember, this is the same man who opposed MLK day in 1983 (he later reversed his stance - wasn't going over well with voters, I suspect).

And there was also this quote from McCain: "I think the last person I have to convince probably is President Obama."

Don't worry, Mr. McCain, I doubt he'll need much convincing.

I guess my point here is that, on days when we're looking for the punch line, it's sometimes difficult to determine what's legitimate news and what isn't. And this leads one to question what makes some news legitimate to begin with? Do we need a report on Obama/Queen gifts? Do stories like this, which were once known as "fluff," now qualify as ACTUAL news?

I can't wait for tomorrow. At least when I laugh at some of the ridiculous items I see in print, I'll know I'm just being cynical.

2 comments:

Kate said...

speaking of that pitch guy and april fools, I was CERTAIN the ad for Pitchmen was just designed for the holidays. Turns out Discovery Channel is that bizarre.
http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSTRE5071JD20090108

Ben said...

The Discovery Channel has really gone downhill over the past year . . . Just give me Mythbusters peppered with a little Cash Cab, Dirty Jobs, and Planet Earth (and maybe an episode or two of Prototype This) and I'll be satisfied. Enough with the Man Vs. Wild, A Haunting, Future Weapons and the Time Warp nonsense (though, to be honest, I've watched several episodes of Time Warp to see people I know on the crew).