Monday, April 6, 2009

Wake up call

Woke up this morning. Rolled out of bed. The Professor and I complained/laughed about our neighbors (There was a teenage girl screaming about her boyfriend last night. Honestly, every time I think I know who lives in that house I hear another screaming voice.). Then I turned on my computer and checked Facebook.

Status update from the Professor's uncle who lives in Italy: Woke up to an earthquake last night but we're okay.

Status update from his partner: awakened by the earthquake but all is well.

Woah.

The 6.3 magnitude quake struck about 30 miles (if I remember correctly) from their village, centering on the town L'Aquila. Just go look at images at CNN or the BBC. The destruction is pretty heartbreaking. So much history has been turned to rubble.

But, thankfully, Steve and Larry are okay.

It made me feel sheepish for complaining about my neighbors waking me in the middle of the night. Having my 800-year-old village shaken by the Earth would be a far scarier way to have a horrible night's sleep.

No comments: