Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another local restaurant question . . .

I've written about The Counter before (over here). They're the new burger place in town that lets you build your own monstrously meaty (or veggie) sandwich. And, from my experience, they make a decent burger.

But, one thing that puzzles me with The Counter is the restaurant's advertising campaign. In every ad that I've seen thus far, The Counter consistently proclaims that there are "over 312,120 options," from patties, to toppings, to roll combinations, when one is constructing their meal. 

Over 312,120.

Does this mean there are 312,121 options? Why tell us there are OVER 312,120? Can our feeble minds not handle a number larger than 312,120? Did some serious market research show that potential customers like the word "over" rather than a finite number? Do we subconsciously have a negative reaction to large numbers that end in odd digits?

If I was better at math, I'd try to go further with this. But, I was more of an English guy. So, I'll just eat my burger and keep my mouth shut.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wot a wanker....if you are truly english i've got to tell you you are a tosser! Who really cares. If you do start the maths

Ben said...

Huh? Sorry man. Lost you there. Better go back to your Ali G marathon.