Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A bibbi-babka interlude

While making dinner tonight, the Professor and I, for reasons unknown, began to sing the "Bibbi-Babka" song from our childhood ABC television staple Perfect Strangers. This lead to a hunt online for the actual video of the song, sung by cousins Larry and Balki. To our joy, it was not difficult to find. 



However, while watching our treasured "Bibby-Babka" clip, we realized how unfunny Perfect Strangers actually was. Hearing the audience cackle made me wonder how many drinks the stage manager plied them with before letting anyone into the studio.

This is the problem with revisitation. Revisiting childhood television always leaves the viewer open for potential disappointment. For every Cosby Show, which, in my opinion, still holds up fairly well, there's a Sledge Hammer, a show I absolutely loved as a child, but couldn't stand to watch when I rented the DVD of season one.

Though tempted to watch more clips of Perfect Strangers, I decided to let my memory retain the show and characters as the version seen through the eyes of a kid twenty years ago. That's probably the only way it can continue to be enjoyable.

Okay, I did watch this MC Hammer-inspired number. Then I called it a day.
 

No comments: