Sunday, May 3, 2009

A trip to Ted's Restaurant


I was jonesin' for a burger yesterday, but the Professor was working at her office, so a trip to Max Burger, which we've been discussing, had to be tabled. Instead, I opted for some old fashioned Connecticut cooking.

I decided to find Ted's Restaurant in Meriden. Their steamed hamburgers are things of legend among foodies and the restaurant is often featured on those ubiquitous diner programs that seem to be on television at any hour. So I got a map from the old interwebs and headed off.

The Drive

The drive to Ted's was a bit disappointing. Google Maps sent me along the Berlin Turnpike, which meant I got to drive past lots of seedy hotels that were next to even seedier strip clubs and "adult" stores. I hoped that this wasn't some sort of sign of things to come (My suggestion if you're planning a jaunt to Ted's: Find a route with better scenery.).

Thankfully, as I turned onto Broad Street, the world turned back to normal. Ted's was easy to find. It was the place with a million cars in front.

The Restaurant

Needless to say, the place was busy.

And incredibly small, with only a few booths and a counter for eaters to consume mass quantities of beef and cheese.

I waited in line. When it was my turn, I ordered probably the most obvious meal: steamed cheeseburger, home fries, and a Pepsi (Ted's doesn't do french fries. It's home fries or no fries.).

I lucked out and was able to find a seat at the counter. This is easily the best place to sit at Ted's. Because the lure of the place is the steamed cooking style of the burgers, watching the cook constantly fill tiny trays with beef and cheese is certainly a must if possible. The counter also lets diners get a good look at the heaping piles of home fries that are constantly on the restautant's grill, browning to a lovely crisp that borders on burnt (but burnt in a good way).



The Burger

My burger came out after about ten minutes. It was made to order with lettuce, tomato, and onion. The cheese was so bubbly that it oozed out of the pinwheel center of the bun. I can honestly say that it looked heavenly.


It was incredibly juicy. And kind of funky. For whatever reason, it felt like the type of burger Wimpy from Popeye would crave (and con someone into buying for him). But the fact that it was steamed left me wanting a bit. I missed the taste of the grill. Maybe it was a bit psychological of me. Now, that's not to say I didn't like the burger. I practically inhaled the thing. It was tasty, just a different kind of tasty. I really can't describe it. It's an experience I think you have to try to understand.

My belly full, my wallet lighter only $7 (before tip), I stumbled back out to my car. I was satisfied in my trip. I headed back up past the creepy hotels and strip clubs, and made my way home.

Ted's Restaurant can be found at 1046 Broad Street in Meriden.

2 comments:

Battle Park said...

Route 9 to 91S to 691W can be your friend.

Ben said...

Yeah, sometimes Google Maps reminds you of the underbelly of life, something I both appreciate and occasionally dislike. When I'm hungry, the sad sights of the Berlin Turnpike are kind of a drag.