Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Red Sox fan in shaky territory

Coming from Boston, and having lived my entire life in Massachusetts before relocating to Connecticut, I am, as you'd expect, a fan of the Boston Red Sox. However I find myself in a territory that seems to be a battleground between the Sox and their rivals, the New York Yankees. You'd think, West Hartford being a bit closer to Massachusetts than New York (about a third closer to MA), that being a Sox fan would be relatively safe. But I see quite a bit of pinstripes as I make my way about town. A bit too many for me to think this is safe territory.

Of course, I'm kidding on the whole "safe territory" thing. I'm not one of those moronic brute fans that hates anyone that has a different opinion. In fact, I will admit that I certainly respect the Yankees and even like a few of their players (this is easy to say this season, as they seem to be fading in the home stretch). That doesn't mean I don't want the Sox to win every single game against them. I'm reasonable, but not crazy.

The first Red Sox-Yankees series since I moved to Connecticut began last night. Though I was tempted to offer to my wife that we go out to watch the game, I figured it was safer to sit on our couch to take in the contest. With my luck, we'd end up surrounded by Bronx fans and the Sox would get crushed. I don't know many people yet in this town, and having that be my introduction to a large crowd wasn't high on my agenda. So, we sat and cheered from our living room, not too loud in case a strolling Bomber fan passed by the window, wallowing in the ineffectiveness of A. Rod (0-5, 2K, 2GIDP, 1 error) or the lack of pitching from Andy Pettitte (he's had an ugly record this season against the Sox in NY, so it wasn't much of a surprise). No, we kept the shades down and watched the NESN Red Sox feed, as opposed to the Yankee broadcast, two refugees in an uncertain realm. And the Sox won, 7-3.

And all was good . . . for half of West Hartford.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Everytime I listen to a Sox game, I recall how much you disliked the then-slumping Pedroia back when we were at a game in April 2007. And now look where he is, Ben. NOW look where he is. Dustin remembers those who were there for him in the beginning. And he remembers you were not. Prepare to pay, Ben. Prepare. To. Pay.

Ben said...

I will admit that my relationship with Pedroia was not great during the first month of his rookie year. He was batting only .190 that cool Sunday night at Fenway, if you recall.

Is it weird that imagine Pedroia being carried to bed every night by his wife, dressed in an old-man style nightgown, wearing a long stocking cap?

Judo For Make Love said...

Actually, if you look closer into your mind's eye, you will notice that it is Jon Lester's wife doing the carrying, but besides that, it's very natural for a married man like yourself to daydream about short baseball players going to bed in their jammies Little Nemo style. By the way, CT used to be split pretty much down the middle by the warring nations of the Bean and the Apple but NY encroached deeper into red foot territory when they made Norwich their AA team in the 1990's, capturing many prisoners.