Sunday, August 24, 2008

Sunday night ruminations

Why are those that play their music the loudest also the ones that have the worst taste in music? And, if said music is so loud that it becomes a wall of static and distortion, can it still be enjoyed?

Where are all of the music stores around here? Do people even listen to music, I mean real music? Not just the static and distortion rattling the pavement beneath the tires of the cars that pass by with their windows down and the volume up? You know, tactile, physical music, CDs or records? I mean, I like Newbury Comics as much as the next guy, but the one at the Buckland Hills Mall doesn't count. I can stand on my porch and throw a rock that would land in Hartford and Manchester is the closest place to buy an album? Please, someone inform me of what I'm missing.

And radio. If this area of Connecticut isn't the perfect reason to switch to satellite, I don't know what is. No offense to some of the stations here, but there's really very little to listen to if you're into rock that's a little more obscure than, say, Pearl Jam circa Ten. How often can you hear Jeremy in one day? Oh, about the same amount of times you can hear Back In Black, as that seems to be the alternative, the B-side, if you will. "Sick of Pearl Jam? Then here's some more AC/DC. Sick of AC/DC, how about some Pearl Jam?"

But, I digress.

Okay, one more . . .
 
Does West Hartford have the cleanest teeth in America? Judging by the amount of dentist offices I pass on a daily basis, they should. If there's ever a Dentist famine someplace, somewhere, sometime, they can just call in the troops in West Hartford. We seem to have one dentist per five residents.

That's enough. Got to sleep now.

2 comments:

Judo For Make Love said...

For the record, I can probably listen to Back in Black all day if I had to, but it's really funny hearing you say this because when I left CT for the first time as a teenager, I was quite surprised and mystified by the breadth of different sounds offered by Boston area radio stations. Now you know how good you had it all those years you spent in Massachusetts. The only stations I ever listened to between the ages of 1 and 17 were either Top 40, the soft rock station, or the station that played polka on saturday and sunday mornings. That's all there was as far as I knew.

Ben said...

Unfortunately, that seems to be all there still is here.