Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A New England beacon has ceased to shine, leaving many lost at sea

The passing of John Updike feel especially sad, and I can't quite pinpoint the reason. The truth is, I cannot claim to have read many of his books. But his mere existence, as not only a highly lauded author, but a popular one to boot, was always around me as a child growing up in New England. He felt like one of the locals, even if he had been born in Pennsylvania.

I recall the first time I read A&P. I was roughly the same age as Sammy, the story's teenage protagonist. And, like Sammy, I was working a useless summer job, watching the cool kids frolic in and out as I begrudgingly scooped ice cream and poured sodas. The piece struck me. I felt Sammy; his frustrations; his confusions. It always amazed me that a man had written it, and not another fifteen-year-old boy. I had hoped to someday ask Updike how he was able to pull off such a feat. Alas, it was not meant to be.

So, farewell Mr. Updike. May your words continue to inspire many, but especially young teenagers toiling away the summer, for generations to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized he'd died.
I, too, remember reading A&P. He has an interesting style, and if his subject matter doesn't always attract me, his style and feeling do.
If you are looking for books of his to read, I might suggest the Rabbit series, or Of the Farm.

Seannessy said...

The only book I read of his was "Toward the End of Time" and had to do a literary review of it for my dual-enrollment class at Worcester State when I was a junior in high school. I loved it and should probably read more by him since he will not write anymore :-(

saturdaymorning said...

I can't believe it's already been a year.