Thursday, January 8, 2009

Winter rose garden

I went running today, which wasn't the greatest idea. The sidewalks were mostly ice and the streets weren't much better. But I kept one foot in front of the other and eventually made my way into Elizabeth Park, thinking that, even if the roads there were slippery, there wouldn't be a soul crawling around.

For those reading from out of town (or state), let me explain that, among other things, Elizabeth Park houses a really beautiful rose garden. Here's a picture of it from the park's website:

As I made my way down the middle of the entrance road, I decided to pay the garden a visit. I hadn't been by since early fall, and I wondered what it would look like without any flowers. Here's a close replica of what I saw, again from the park's website. Sadly, this photo doesn't do the garden justice:

The bare arches were wrapped tight. The gazebo was a husk of a structure, its bare bones exposed to viewers. The scene was really breathtaking, like some kind of winter art installation. The place was all but barren. No footprints broke through the white cover on the ground. It was its own little world.

Local runners and walkers should give it a look. Out-of-towners, you'll just have to take my word for it.   

2 comments:

Judo For Make Love said...

Looks like the set of a tim burton movie.

Ben said...

Yeah, that's a good description.