Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Part time employment . . . the saga continues

I am officially no longer unemployed. I am now partially employed. For about 10 hours a week, I'm working for the man. And it feels both great and horrible.

Taking a part time position after a dry stretch is a strange sensation. The idea of having something to fill hours is wonderful, even if it is only a few hours here and there. No matter how busy I keep myself in West Hartford, there are always moments that waste away. But the unsettling feeling comes from realizing how little part time employment pays. It makes me feel a tad pathetic, having come from a decently paying full time job back in Boston. It is certainly a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' conundrum: I feel kind of pathetic if I have NOTHING to do and I also feel kind of pathetic if I'm working part time for a low wage. And regardless of how much I tell myself that such employment is only temporary and could change sooner than later, it is still a bit odd.

Oh, President Obama, let's get the economy jump started! I know you've only had one day at your new job, but a little help would be appreciated (of course, I'm just kidding . . . sort of).  

No comments: