Thursday, January 29, 2009

Question: What is the online Jeopardy quiz?

Answer: Something I did last night, and it didn't go as horribly as I expected.

To begin, if you didn't realize, Jeopardy hosts an online quiz every once in a while. Random folks take it, and the results are used to decide who gets to formally audition for the program. Quite a process, if you ask me.

The Professor took the quiz on Tuesday night and, according to her, failed miserably. So, as a goof, I decided to sign up for the Central time zone test (they break up the quiz so that each time zone has their own test on separate nights, though they let anyone sign up, regardless of time zone). It was nothing more than a whim. I assumed I would do poorly, especially considering The Professor's recollection of her test, but I'd give it my best.

The Jeopardy site urged all quiz takers to log on at least twenty minutes before the 9 p.m. (8 p.m. Central) start time. Being a good little bee, I signed in at about 8:40 p.m. and got to be psyched out by the pensive stare of a photo of Alex Trebek while I waited for the countdown to reach zero. I spent the time talking to him as if I was Sean Connery, trying to break him down a bit, though I don't think I was very successful. When there was thirty seconds left on the timer, the familiar theme music to Jeopardy began playing. When it ended, the barrage of questions began.

50 questions were asked. Each allowed 15 seconds to type in an answer before automatically passing to the next question. I will admit, I passed on at least five or six questions. But I was actually able to answer quite a few. It didn't hurt that some of the answers were related to softball topics like Lindsey Lohan , Firefox, and Slumdog Millionaire. I'm guessing I got at least 25 correct, which is still failing, but I honestly didn't think I'd get more than 10.

Unfortunately, when the test ended, I didn't get a score. Quiz takers don't even get to look back on what they've answered. 

This just means I'll have to wait by the phone for the next year, hoping that Trebek phones me for an audition.

I won't be holding my breath.  

Update: I've noticed quite a few folks finding this post while doing Google searches for "online Jeopardy quiz answers." Tsk, tsk! First of all, I'm 100% sure they don't offer the same test every night. Second of all, what's the fun in cheating?

No comments: