Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Prayer Cross: Huh?

I just caught this infomercial advertisement on, of all things, Spike TV (I was flipping through the stations, I swear! I was NOT watching a Steven Seagal movie). It is for a necklace called the Prayer Cross. The ad claims that, when you hold the magic Prayer Cross up to the light, the entire "Our Father" somehow becomes "miraculously" visible to the wearer. How is this possible? Does anyone out there have one of these? I'm just curious. Is it just a tiny View-Master?

Or is it really a miracle!

I don't know how much I can trust this ad. At one point, it claims the necklace to be one-of-a-kind, which is obviously a lie, unless they're spending all this money to sell one $19.95 (correction: $39.98 + shipping) article.

Anyway, here's the ad, via YouTube:   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me kind of angry, actually. I mean, it is totally exploiting people for their faith, when, really, that scripture is not all that long, and you can just memorize it. Besides, there is no extra power in this cross to help you pray or get closer to God or anything. It's just a piece of crap necklace with a cross shape. Gosh! It just makes me angry.

Anonymous said...

Moreover, it's not $19.95, but rather 2 payments of $19.99 PLUS a whopping $7.99 in Shipping and Handling.

So that's $47.97 for an utter piece of plastic crap ANd you know that they sell these suckers' names/addresses to 100 other scammers, ruining the lives of those who purchase this.

god bless america indeed.

- steve_ctmq

Ben said...

Wow, you're right! I guess I was so blinded by the commercial itself that I didn't notice that it was 2 payments! Yikes!

Judo For Make Love said...

Incredibly beautiful! I've never seen anything like it in all of my years of watching jewelry on tv. It seems like the perfect teaching aid for those who are just starting school, or for those who haven't previously had access to education. And there are certainly less spiritually healthy ways of going blind. I am humbled by this marvelous innovation.

Anonymous said...

I've taken to TiVo'ing AMC movies recently (It took me 3 weeks, but I just watched all 3 Alien movies for the first time - all 3, btw, are still good; esp 3 which was directed by David Fincher which, had I known this earlier, I'd have watched previously) and this week's selection was the 1974 kickass movie, "Death Wish."

Who knew, but apparently the Death Wish demographic includes those who would buy this Prayer Cross? Indeed, I caught the ad (on triple FF) on the broadcast.

Steve_ctmq