Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Johnny Pesky to have his number retired

Today, it was announced that Johnny Pesky, beloved former Red Sox infielder, would have his number retired by the team this weekend during the regular season-ending series against the New York Yankees. Pesky already has the right-field foul pole named after him at Fenway Park (for the two of you that didn't already know that) and has been a fixture with the Red Sox for almost sixty years, from player to manager to team cheerleader. I swear, they must have a cot for him inside the Green Monster. The guy is always around the team.

Personally, I think this honor is great for the man. But, I wonder about the timing of the event. With the Yankees closing their stadium just the other night in New York, is the front office of the Red Sox trying to draw some attention by doing this in front of their New York rivals? Is this some sort of strange counter-punch? If so, then I feel bad for Mr. Pesky. I understand that the event, to happen in the regular season, has to take place within the next week, but I just wonder why the Sox chose to wait for the Yankees series, fully aware that Yankee Stadium was going to be in the thick of press coverage for closing, to honor Pesky? Why didn't this event happen earlier in the season?

I'm glad for Johnny. The man is a legend and lives and breathes for his team. I just hope the front office treats him with as much love as he has shared with their players for so many decades.

For an article about Mr. Pesky's number retirement, click here.

No comments: