Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A quick "Mary Worth" update

For those dying to know what has happened in Mary Worth since I dubbed it "worst comic strip ever" a few weeks ago, due to the slow, dull nature of the storytelling, here's a summary:

Toby, the woman afraid her identity was stolen, called her bank and found out someone DID steal her identity (I know, this was a shocker that only very careful readers of Mary Worth would have seen coming). This revelation lead to days upon days of Toby saying things like "I can't believe this is happening to me!" and "I'm so upset I can hardly see straight!" while holding one hand to her forehead in a dramatic fashion.

Of course, this also got Toby flustered about talking to her husband, professor/Prince Valiant guest-star/Gorton's Fisherman enthusiast Ian (who doesn't seem the type to fly off the handle at all, but what do I know?). So, instead of giving us some meaty phone rage between the couple once Ian heard the bad news, Toby says nothing about the identity theft and we all got to learn about the dull conference Ian is attending and how invigorating the people he met were. And . . . sorry, I nodded off there for a second.

Toby then spoke to Mary Worth about her situation, and Mary, assumedly back from a fun vacation doing ANYTHING other than starring in Mary Worth, told her she should talk to someone about how to protect oneself from having their identity stolen. You know, so this doesn't happen AGAIN, torturing readers with three more weeks of watching a woman make two phone calls! 

Judge Parker had someone get shot on a golf course during this time! Heck, even Rex Morgan has moved from his office to a boat over the past two weeks! 

C'mon, Mary Worth, pick up the pace!

2 1/2 weeks of comics. Virtually nothing happened. And, yet, I keep reading it. The train wreck that you can't stop staring at, that's my Mary Worth.

No comments: