Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Ask and you shall receive

Updated Update: Maybe I'm right, after all . . . Nice detective work, Amy!

Update: After reading the comments from some smart West Hartford residents who have been around town longer than I, it appears my concerns expressed in this post are for naught. So, basically, you can just ignore the following ramble . . .

We have in West Hartford what I like to call a "Sleepy-Giant problem." What is this problem? Well, it stems from the fact that, whenever you're out shopping and see a Mattress Discounters, there's always a Sleepy's or a Mattress Giant across the road, giving it the finger. I suppose this could also be called a "McKing problem," as the same thing tends to happen with McDonald's and Burger King. Or a "Walmart-Anything else problem."

Maybe placing two nearly identical stores side-by-side is a marketing technique, but it just seems kind of dumb to me. And it often ends up with one champion and one empty shell of a store.

A while back, I wrote about missing my old Boston Mexican restaurant haunt and lamented about the lack of Mexican options in West Hartford. Of course, several of you were quick on the keys and were kind enough to point me towards some of your local favorites, which have been wonderful.

But now West Hartford has two new South of the Border eateries! And they're across the street from each other!

Why?!?

Why do two Mexican places have to battle it out on the same block? Why can't they be separated by at least a quarter mile, thus allowing each to develop their own clientele? Then they'll both have a decent chance of surviving.

Argh!

The first is Los Adobes. It's more of a take-out place, though there are a few tables and seats. The Professor and I ate there shortly after they opened and were a little underwhelmed. I'm chalking the experience up to new restaurant jitters, however, and plan on stopping in again soon, especially after reading the glowing words over at the Greater Hartford Real Estate Blog (man, I wish I got to wear the poncho and sombrero).

Across the street from Los Adobes, in the empty space next to Plan B, is the second restaurant. It isn't opened yet, but there is a mysterious sign over the door that says "Mexican Restaurant." So, technically, I guess I can't call them a Mexican restaurant quite yet, though I assume they will be a restaurant that serves Mexican food. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's some high end lip balm boutique that I just don't understand. 

"Where'd you get that awesome lip balm, Stacy?"

"Mexican Restaurant! That's where I get ALL my lip balms!"

Okay, I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a Mexican restaurant.

And once this "Mexican Restaurant" opens, there will be two restaurants with similar offerings duking it out. They may be different enough to both survive, but I'd venture a guess that one will probably be gone within a year, which is a shame. 

Until then, I'll be having to eat twice as much Mexican food.   

8 comments:

AmyBergquist said...

I believe the "Mexican Restaurant" sign in the space next to Plan B is a leftover from a few years ago. The place was called C.O. Jones, Mexican Restaurant or something like that. They went out of business about 3 years ago and nothing has been done with the space since. Which is really surprising given the fact how well restaurants typically do on Park Road.

Regarding wearing the sombrero, etc., my husband is an embarrassment. The Professor probably would probably put her foot down more than me. :)

Ben said...

Hmm . . . Maybe you're right, though they are doing construction inside the space, so something is going in there.

Perhaps this is a good sign for Los Adobes. They may just have a fighting chance.

AmyBergquist said...

Did you see people actively working in there, or just construction stuff? I've never seen people in there. It's like they started dismantling the previous restaurant a few years ago and just stopped and left their tools, ladders, etc.

Have you tried Coyote Flaco yet?

Battle Park said...

Amy is correct. The funny thing is that West Hartford disallowed the name C.O.Jones ("cojones") because it was too vulgar apparently. Even though high school girls were snorting all the blow they could next door at the old Cypress, but I digress.

Mexican Restaurant, as it was called, was pretty awful. Teensy portions of very mediocre food.

I can't recommend Monte Alban on Farmington Avenue next to Tisane enough. GREAT family running it, authentic, delicious food.

Ben said...

Well, I stand corrected. Though, the "Mexican Restaurant" sign must have been covered before, most likely with the big "BK" sign that had been hung over it.

The construction paper in the windows, I'm pretty sure, is new. Maybe something else is moving in. Either that or someone just finally decided to uncover the old "Mexican Restaurant" sign.

Anonymous said...

I would encourage sombreros, actually. I think it'd be great for sheer entertainment value :)

AmyBergquist said...

Ben, you are indeed correct. We went to dinner at Plan B tonight and checked out the "Mexican Restaurant." While it's the old sign, the brown paper on the windows is new, as is the liquor permit on the door proclaiming that a mexican restaurant is seeking a license. So let's hope Los Adobes will be able to hold its own...

Battle Park said...

I think it's going to be a tequila bar, focusing more on the booze than the food.