Sunday, February 8, 2009

"Holy cow!" he exclaimed as he stepped foot into Stew Leonard's


Stew Leonard's, where have you been all my life?

You combine three of my favorite things: food, animatronic figures, and employee distributed free samples (Sorry, Le Gourmet Chef, but I just don't dig on your germ-infested bowls of nachos that are left out for customers to try. Too many snotty children with snotty fingers.).

You even have a decently stocked wine shop!

And your pies! Your pies!

If you can't tell, I recently visited Stew Leonard's market for the first time. The Professor and I stopped in because the store was having a good deal on vegetables and cage-free eggs. We didn't know anything about the market before pulling into the lot in Newington, but judging by the amount of cars already there, we figured Stew's wasn't your typical grocery store.


And it isn't. It's far more of an event than I expected. There aren't aisles. Instead, you're corralled through one master path, like at an Ikea. Along the way, there are plenty of strange animated characters that sing and dance for children (and adults like me). There are also plenty of tasting stations, which lead to traffic snarls left and right.

But no one inside seems to be bothered by the slow pace. We are all having fun tasting sushi and chicken sausage and watching a gigantic piece of cheese talk to us. We aren't there to just pop in for a bottle of Coke. That's what Stop and Shop is for.

No, Stew Leonard's is like a bizarre Chuck E. Cheese for adults. 

That being said, I wouldn't go to Stew Leonard's for all of my grocery needs. It's just too chaotic. I had a hard time carrying a basket through the store, never mind a push cart. Plus the prices on items like cereal seemed a bit high. But Stew Leonard's isn't a place for cereal. It's there for specialty items. The meat section is massive. The bakery is enormous. And the line at the ice cream stand, in the middle of February, assured me that Stew Leonard's knows a thing or two about making sweets.

And the place is so darn cute. I mean, look at the company logo:
How can you resist? The cow's just happy as a clam, saying, "Hey, come on in! Buy the milk that came from me. Or the cheese. Then, while you're here, why not pick up a part of one of my brothers and grill it for dinner?"

Okay, cute lil cow. I think I will!

3 comments:

AmyBergquist said...

I was going to write a blog post around the holidays titled "The Stew Leonard's Scrooge" for Kyle. Like you said, Stew's is a great place for specialty items. The only way I can get Kyle to go there is to drag him when we stock up for our big holiday party. The screaming kids, animatronics, and winding pathways are just too much for him. The bribe always has to be getting an ice cream at the end. It's the only way to get him within a 2 mile radius of the store.

Anonymous said...

Today all people love to Watch TV Shows and they really like the tv shows and enjoy them a lot. Now tv show has become a part of theri life. Isn't it...?

Unknown said...

Lovely post. I am also a huge fan of TV Shows. And always watch all my favorite TV Shows Online. Actually tv series now become a part of our daily lives. We are getting involve into it.