Monday, February 2, 2009

I love gimmicks

You know what I liked most about the Super Bowl last night? The 3D commercials at halftime. Why? Because they were 3D! Duh!

Make anything 3D and I'm interested. As a kid, I'd buy 3D Gumby and GI Joe comic books. Were they any good? I have no idea. I doubt I ever read them. I'm sure all I did was stare at the pages with my 3D glasses.

I paid to see Freddy's Dead, the 3D Nightmare on Elm Street installment, when it first came out. I had never seen a Freddy movie in theaters, but . . . this one was in 3D! Well, not the WHOLE movie, but we got to see some 3D during the last 15 minutes. And it was horrible! But I still have the glasses.

I drove in a snowstorm a few years ago to try to see the Polar Express in 3D IMAX when it was released, only to find that every screening was sold out. Did I care about the Polar Express? No. But it was in 3D, so I had to risk life and limb to make the attempt.

I haven't gone to see the new My Bloody Valentine 3D . . . yet. 

Anyway . . .

When I heard that they were going to run an ad during the Super Bowl in 3D, I made sure to pick up some glasses at the grocery store. Of course, I did this while remembering the pathetic Diet Coke "Be Bop Bamboozled" 3D halftime show from 1989 (A sad, sad halftime show), so I wasn't putting much hope into this year's events.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The amber and blue glasses, using a technology developed by ColorCode 3D, actually seemed to pop the colors more than the traditional red/blue lenses. I always wondered why people bothered with the red lens for television events in 3D, as that channel always seems to be the wonkiest when it comes to color balance. The people at ColorCode must have thought of this, as well. Their amber lens made the effects look pretty convincing.

But the contents were lacking. Monsters vs. Aliens seems pretty dumb, and those Sobe lizards are lame. Even 3D couldn't make them interesting. Why couldn't we see Bruce and Little Stevie in 3D? Now that would have been a show!

If you're interested, the website for ColorCode has some cool stuff to check out. 

No comments: