Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is it bad when it feels like jury duty?

Yesterday, I took my first trip to the state capitol. I attended a public hearing at the Legislative Office Building where, among other topics, a proposed cap on Connecticut's motion picture tax credit system was being discussed.

I know, I know, slow down, Ben, this is WAY to exciting for me to read.

I was sitting in on the hearing for a short article I'm writing, though, in secret, I was also there to support the current tax credit system. I understand the state's fear of an uncapped system, but I don't think a cap as small as the governor is proposing ($30 million/year) will do any good for the infancy of the motion picture industry in the state. There are $114 million in currently unused pledged credits already distributed. Such a cap would essentially be pulling the rug from under these people.

I won't get too deep into this. I realize it gets boring. I will just say that most other states with similar programs are making between $1.50 and $1.90 for every dollar the state pledges in tax credits. 

Anyway . . .

I arrived at the capital at around 10:15 and was lucky enough to find a visitor's parking space (the last in the lot!). I made my way underground from the main Capitol to the LOB and took a seat in the room reserved for the hearing. I had my pad and digital voice recorder ready.

And then I realized I was going to be sitting for a very, very long time.

I can only equate the experience as wasting away a day at jury duty. The seats were uncomfortable. People were there out of obligation. Folks were nodding off in the corners.

But this was more like jury duty if everyone in the room decided they had something to say and were all deaf to the fact that what they have to say was exactly the same as the person who spoke right before them. Yes, I realize this was a public hearing and the fact that these exist shows how wonderful our democracy is in this country. But when 3/4 of the state representatives and senators leave as the meeting begins, does it matter that 100 people want their time to talk?

The meeting lasted 7 hours!

I ended up leaving at about the 3 1/2 hour mark. My butt had fallen asleep and I had gotten enough of the "experience" to write my piece. I made my way home. 

Turns out the entire event was being broadcast live on the Connecticut News station. I could have gotten everything I needed and never stepped out my front door. I could have worn pajamas all day!

Oh well. I suppose the television broadcast wouldn't have given me the scope of the hundreds that showed up in support of the tax credit. Nor would it have made me weary of ever attending such a hearing again without a good book to keep me company.

No comments: