Saturday, November 8, 2008

Blue Back birthday bust? Basically . . .


Under fittingly dreary skies, West Hartford's controversial Blue Back Square celebrated its first birthday on Saturday. And, to commemorate the day, they threw a party. 

A really lame party.

Had this party been a horse, we would have quite a bit of glue to pass around right about now.

With promises of free samples, special deals, and reduced prices, the party seemed as if it could have been a nice "thank you" to local residents. Unfortunately, it was anything but.

The crowds were there, but the celebration did not seem to follow. The occasional drops of rain may have dampened (see what I did there?) the day, but, outside of a live band playing and a smattering of blue balloons, one could easily have assumed that there wasn't even an event at all.

Where were the vendors? The samples? There did not seem to be anything at the Cheesecake Factory or Munson's. Did one have to ask for samples? And, if so, does that really show much for the hosts? 

You know, my favorite parties are always the ones that require me to ask for food and drink. There's something humbling about the experience that always reminds me of my own shortcomings and inferiority.


This was the closest thing I found to a sample table.
If you're a pamphlet junkie, then this was your Shangri-La.

There was also a curious "bait and switch" that occurred at Moe's Southwest Grill. On the Blue Back Square website, a PDF for the event listed the following offer: 

But, such a deal was not actually being offered at the restaurant. They said that this offer was only available on Mondays and that the special listed on the website must have been a misprint. Instead, they were offering beer at $1.99. 

Nothing says "thanks for your support" than offering cheap beer for 4 hours between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on a Saturday.

Though, with all the "excitement" of the party, a few beers may have helped make the event a bit more enjoyable.

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that controversy reared its ugly head in the Square. From what I've learned during my short time in Connecticut, the shopping district has just as many fierce opponents as it does champions. I just wished that there was something more. The Square could have done something nice. Instead, they created an exercise in "almost" caring enough to do something for the public.

3 comments:

AmyBergquist said...

Funny, Kyle and I were just at BBS doing some errands, must be right around the time you were there. Anyway, we went to the library and all I could think was "Hmm, I'd better not say anything, the Trailing Spouse could be hiding out at any of these desks just looking for his next blog post." :)

Ben said...

That, of course, is my goal: to drive everyone away from the town libraries. Then, they will all be mine!

Anonymous said...

Didn't get a chance to make it over today, and I'm disappointed to hear of such suckitude.

Maybe BBS is grumpy because its teething?