Monday, November 24, 2008

That gremlin stole my putter!

On Main Street in Windsor Locks, sandwiched between an AutoZone and Family Dollar ("your Bugle Boy headquarters!") in Dexter Plaza, a horror beyond belief calmly waits for an unsuspecting victim to open its doors. It is dark. It is loud. And it combines two horrific concepts with the force of Thor's hammer. 

Those faint of heart should look away immediately. I do not wish to cause any harm! For, I am about to mention this beast's name right here on this very blog! 

There are three hideous words!

And those three words are: Monster. Mini. Golf!


Oh, the fright that awaits those who dare enter! The Professor and I barely got out alive! Such brave children were inside, gingerly putting away as monsters loomed overhead, constantly threatening destruction and mischief!

Okay, so it wasn't really scary. And, the facility being entirely lit by black-lights only made me wish that I hadn't worn a wool sweater inside. But, the place was unusually fun, whether it was the oddity of listening to Cher over the loudspeaker as I was lining up to putt my ball past the Toxic Waste barrel, or the actual challenge that some of the holes provided (there were several moments of me saying, "Where IS the hole we're looking for?" as we scoured to find our endpoint).

Here are a few pictures from our trip:

Sexiest pole dancer in CT? Perhaps.
Scary Mummy. Also, mini golf temperature guard.

Such brave children.

Of course, an afternoon with so many ghouls and ghosts made me itch for some scary movies once we got home. I had Errol Morris' Standard Operating Procedure from Netflix, but that wasn't really the horror I was looking for. No, what I felt like was some good old Creepshow, a film near and dear to my heart. I've probably seen this movie 100 times in my life, mostly thanks to my childhood friend Ben. As kids, we'd watch Creepshow nearly every Saturday at his house. Why? Well, check out this awesome clip of a young Ed Harris getting his groove on and then tell me you can resist wanting more:


Nobody turns down a radio like Ed Harris. Nobody.

For more info on Monster Mini Golf, visit their website over here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a little jealous that i didn't get to join the trip for monster mini golf!

Ben said...

You were in our thoughts.