Thursday, November 6, 2008

"Guerillas"


When I decided to start my little Mary Worth spoof last month (and, don't worry, two-of-you who care, the next installation is coming), I first made a trip to my local comic shop for some inspiration. And, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm a sucker when it comes to things that look cool. This is pretty much how I came upon Brahm Revel's comic book Guerillas. The cover looked cool.

But, let me tell you, the inside is even better.

Set during the Vietnam War, Guerillas opens as many war stories often do, following a young private named John Clayton: scared of everything, afraid to fire, wanting to go home. We jump back and forth in time, seeing his life before the war, his relationship with his father, a World War II veteran, and his intense fear as he tries to make his way safely through the hidden Viet Cong.

Before long, though, the comic takes a sharp turn. Clayton's platoon is ambushed. And, instead of fighting, Clayton hides, awaiting his own grim fate. As he counts his last moments, he listens to his companions scream in agony. Then, something happens. Bullets fly. The Viet Cong are cut down. And, as he slowly comes out from hiding, Clayton sees that there is another American platoon waiting for him. But, something is different about this platoon. There are no men. No humans at all, in fact. 

Only monkeys. In American fatigues. With Army-issued weapons. 

Soon, Clayton finds himself within this new platoon, getting to know his saviors, supplying them with cigarettes, wondering how they have come to exist, and hoping to safely get himself home.

I know, it sounds silly, but the material, handled with great mastery by Revel, actually comes off completely plausible. I mean, I wouldn't at all be shocked if the government has attempted such a brigade already. And the artwork is very elegant and consuming. Even if the story was horrible, I could just stare at the panels and be enthralled.

Guerillas is up to issue 2 as of this writing. Part Tim O'Brien, part Pierre Boulle, I highly suggest this book to anyone interested in not only comics, but war stories.

No comments: