Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Newspaper shut down

13 local newspapers, currently owned by the Journal Register Co., are in jeopardy of permanent closure if they aren't purchased by January of 2009. The reason? 3rd-quarter losses at the Journal of almost $9 million.

13 newspapers!

The papers nervously sitting with their heads on the chopping block are The Herald of New Britain and The Bristol Press, both daily publications, as well as 11 weekly news sources published by the Register's Imprint Newspapers' offshoot. 

One of those weekly papers is my beloved West Hartford News

My source for local police log action

Don't take it away from me!

So, here's my plan. I'm going to start tap dancing for change outside the Barnes and Noble in Blue Back Square. I know, I'll be competing with the Salvation Army bell-ringer (who is often on the phone and doesn't even bother to say "thank you"), but I think my skills will draw enough attention to get a fair share of nickles and dimes. Then, I'll take my earnings and buy the paper myself. It'll be all police log, all the time!

Okay, so I don't have any formal tap dancing training. And, I don't own any tap shoes. And, I'm scared to dance in public. And, It's beginning to get cold outside. But, damn it, I'm gonna give it a go! To save my News, I will certainly . . . maybe I need to rethink this.

To read a full article about this potential newspaper collapse, visit the Journal Inquirer here.

2 comments:

Steve Collins said...

Fortunately for you, the Courant was wrong. The West Hartford News is slated to survive.

Ben said...

Yes, and for that I'm happy. It breaks my heart, though, to see so many others on the verge of extinction. I'd love to see a miracle happen, but it just doesn't seem possible for everyone.